Menu

Next Race Countdown

Formula1Race Twitter

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Silverstone 1987 AndyGold aka Pole Position

A Trip Down Memory Lane, 1987.

My first F1 race!
Silverstone 1987 AndyGold aka Pole Position.

Whoever you are, you will remember your first visit to an F1 race. My first visit was impromptu, as I had a chance to buy a cheap ticket from a friend who decided he couldn't attend. A bunch of my biker mates had the trip all planned, so all I had to do was follow the pack. Leaving pregnant wife and one-year-old child with my mother, (as you do), off I went in a heart-beat.

My wife was close to delivery, but we had had several false starts, (if you know what I mean). I was only going to be away for the day!

Silverstone's track layout was redesigned in 1986-87.



See a 40 minute video of Silverstone in 1987 from the BBC with Murry Walker commentating!

Ah, just as I remember it!

This is the T-Shirt I wore back then, bought at Silverstone when I was 24 years old, (but this is me now, at 47 years old and it still fits)! Obviously its a keep-sake, a bit of history and memorabilia. Its even more special to me, not only because it was my first live F1 race, but because I only just made it back to Hull in time for the birth of my daughter.

I got home early evening in time to follow the ambulance down to the delivery! My daughter was born in the early hours of the 13th July. All in all, a memorable experience. I couldn't even tell my wife, since she thought I was out at work all day. I was a gigging musician at that time and I think I told her I was at an afternoon venue down south.

The cat's out of the bag now, my wife punched my arm and then kissed me better, so I'm forgiven. There was no-way my wife or my mum would have let me go, with my wife being in her condition. I just had a feeling that everything was going to be OK and it was!

Top 6 Drivers Championship 1987.
1, A. Senna.        Lotus.
2, A. Prost.         McLaren.
3, N. Piquet.       Williams.
4, N. Mansell.     Williams.
5, S. Johansson.  McLaren.
6, G. Berger.       Ferrari.





F1 1987 Season Review.









Pole Position aka AndyGold.




Share/Bookmark


TAGS: Silverstone 1987 AndyGold aka Pole Position, F1, FormulaOne, Silverstone, F1 1987,

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBC F1

F1 News

F1 News

Twitter Account Management.

*************************************************** ****************************************************